Saturday, September 19, 2009

What does it feel like to be living the dream?

Answer: A lot like having a fire hose of information aimed at you all day long. Not that that's a bad thing, but it is descriptive. After spending all day (Saturday, mind you) at school, reading, reviewing case studies, and studying our dissections, I began to realize that what I really need to do is be here (yes, here, as in the vet school library) every Saturday. Until Christmas. Not that I'm complaining.

If there's one thing vet students are unwilling to admit to, it's cynicism. Each of us knows we're here because someone else, or 2 or 3 someone else's received letters of regret. We all wander down the path of complaining about our workload, or why we didn't have a lecture on cranial nerves until we'd been studying them for a week, or how badly the larynxes in gross lab smell, but more often than not, someone at the pity party will say, "But I guess this is what we signed up for," or "At least we made it this far."

And that's what this blog is about: That tenuous balance between being in up to my neck in what I hope to be doing for the rest of my life, and being in over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment